Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Lesson from Tater Tots

Last night was the last intern Bible study of the summer. We have been working through the book of Galatians, seeking to apply to gospel in very real and practical ways. During the discussion time Ashley Myhal gave the following application:
A lesson from tater tots
What can we learn from a tater tot? Yesterday, I went to dinner with some youth girls. We all ordered at Sonic and our food was delivered -hot, delicious popcorn chicken, sonic burger, onion rings, french fries, tater tots and sonic blasts. Yum! However, as soon as we passed the food around the car, two of the girls started to bicker over a stray tater tot. "It's mine!" "No, it was in my bag!" "But you got french fries!" I was mildly offended: after all, I had bought them dinner! They didn't have to pay for it, it was free! They had fries and onion rings! They even got Sonic ice cream! How could they argue over one, lone tater tot? Then I realized what a clear picture the Lord was giving me of what my own life looks like. I have been given awesome grace - free, unearned grace. I so selfishly grab for more - the tater tots of life. For some reason, I'm convinced that I won't be happy unless I have grace AND:grace AND that relationship; grace AND approval of my boss; grace ANDan easy life. I am essentially throwing my hot, delicious Sonic dinner on the ground - burger, fries, and a Sonic Blast, even! - and pouting because I am missing out on tater tots. What is wrong with me? I'm so grateful that through the gospel, I can look at those tatertots and not try to convince myself that they're not good - they are. Sonic tater tots are awesome. Friendships and approval are good things. However, I don't have to chase after them or fight for them. The Lord provides awesome things to me without me even asking. He gives according to His GREAT love, and what He knows that we need and what we don't need. I can trust Him with my life, completely. Funny how God can use Sonic tater tots to teach me about my sin and His awesomeness, huh?

1 comment:

LeAnne said...

Oh so true...I will try to remember this the next time I am whiningly ungrateful!
LeAnne Pugliese
Manor PCA
SE PA