Saturday, October 07, 2006

Festivus, The Lagniappe Tradition of "The Airing of Grievances"

I don't recall exactly when we adopted Festivus. I think it was during Spring break when Jean and I were talking at Lagniappe's first staging site, a peninsula in the back of Buchaneer State Park in Waveland. Knowing the interpersonal challenges we would face we determined to establish a weekly forum for repentance and reconcilliation. Since I am able to recall more movie and tv trivia than Scripture references, I told Jean how that sounded an aweful lot like Festivus, the fictional holiday made famous on an episode of Seinfeld. At Festivus families and friends gather at the dinner table for "The Airing of Grievances," a time for shouting all the ways a person has disappointed you over the past year. This is followed by "Feats of Strength." Lagniappe Festivus is the application of Matthew 18. We don't shout how people have disappointed us or wrestle them to the ground. We humbly go to a brother or sister who has hurt us, seeking restoration and reconciliation. It is an attempt to establish a pattern for repentance to God and to each other. As a testimony, I believe Festivus has kept us from devouring one another. Several times I have come to Festivus with anger and resentment and left with a renewed love for Jesus and deeper love and respect for my brothers and sisters. If you want to learn more about Festivus check out this website: http://www.vidlit.com/festivus/

No comments: