Thursday, August 24, 2006

A Little Lagniappe from the OPC

This is Jim. Jim drove from Pennsylvania to Virginia to the Coast in 24 hours to deliver some lagniappe to Lagniappe Church. Jim is a deacon in the OPC (Orthodox Presbyterian Church, our sister denomination). Several months ago David Haney, the disaster relief coordinator for the OPC, called and asked if we could use a Ford 350 dually with tool boxes. Hmmmm, let me pray about that- YES! Jim answered the call to deliver the truck. He flew from his home to Philly and then flew back out of New Orleans to get home. On the day that Jordan and I met him in Slidell- a great spot to rendevous so he didn't have to drive all the way to the Bay, he had driven 906 miles to get to us. It is amazing what people will do when there is a greater purpose before them. He flew home the next morning. (I'm not sure if I've ever driven 906 miles in one day- there are only a handful of things that I think could motivate me to drive like that, most of which would probably involve me on a motorcycle). Men like Jim are what have humanly made Lagniappe what it is- people willng to do selfless, sacrificial acts of service that will never make it to the cover of magazines, but they are the foundational pillars of this ministry. Remarkable and profound. These are the heros of Lagniappe- people we've laughed with, labored with, cried with, people we love, who have done remarkable and proufound things, some of them only seen by the angels in heaven. Spiritually speaking, the trucks, sheetrock and shingles are simply the Lagniappe stones of remembrance. When the dark times come and God's word is a lamp to the feet, lighting just the path before the next step, I can look back at 900 mile trucks and tractor trailers full of sheetrock and believe. God is doing something in the Bay. He is doing something in me. He is building His kingdom. He is faithful and trustworthy. He is enough. He is. We have to believe that- either He is or He is not who He claims to be. Oh Lord, I believe- help thou my unbelief. "Jesus, lover of my soul, let me to Thy bosom fly,While the nearer waters roll, while the tempest still is high.Hide me, O my Savior, hide, till the storm of life is past;Safe into the haven guide; O receive my soul at last."- Charles Wesley

1 comment:

Timothy said...

Jean,
It is great to see how the LORD is working in those all over the United States to help you and your mission... or His mission. What a blessing it has been to read how you have been blessed.

BTW, have the chief parrot head show up must have been a lot of fun. If you get excited about him, and I would have to, think about how excited we will be when we get to see HIM in glory!
Blessings
Timothy J. Hammons
P.S. Talked to Skip about two weeks ago, and he and Paige are doing well. She's expecting!