Sunday, August 20, 2006

To the Afflicted, Tossed With Tempests and Not Comforted

The following are words to an old Hymn written by John Newton in 1779. The words are deep and rich. They resound with the truth of human hearts in the midst of suffering and affliction. My favorite words are in the last stanza- "Though afflicted, tempest-tossed, Comfortless awhile thou art, Do not think thou canst be lost, Thou art graven on my heart." Life in Bay St. Louis right now is best described as the 'in-between' days- slow, hot days with no teams and a mountain of work before us. God has been faithful to us. He continues to draw close to us, even in the midst of the struggle. As stanza three says, "'Tis but for a moment's space, Ending in eternal peace." There is something about the pain, struggle and suffering of the 'now' that makes the 'then' so sweet. I find myself longing for the 'then'; longing for a place with no more suffering, pain or sorrow. God bless Hurricane Katrina who sends our hearts toward heaven and the God who framed her who will not allow anything less than Him to give us rest, a painful, severe mercy. Pray for us at Lagniappe and for me- that we will know the comfort of the God about whom this song was penned. *************************** Here are the words to the Hymn: Pensive, doubting, fearful heart, Hear what Christ the Saviour says; Every word should joy impart, Change thy mourning into praise: Yes, he speaks, and speaks to thee, May he help thee to believe! Then thou presently wilt see, Thou hast little cause to grieve. *********STANZA 2****************** Fear thou not, nor be ashamed, All thy sorrows soon shall end I who heav'n and earth have framed, Am thy husband and thy friend I the High and Holy One, Israel's God by all adored; As thy Saviour will be known, Thy Redeemer and thy Lord. **********STANZA 3***************** For a moment I withdrew, And thy heart was filled with pain; But my mercies I'll renew, Thou shalt soon rejoice again: Though I scorn to hide my face, Very soon my wrath shall cease; 'Tis but for a moment's space, Ending in eternal peace. **********STANZA 4***************** Though afflicted, tempest-tossed, Comfortless awhile thou art, Do not think thou canst be lost, Thou art graven on my heart All thy walls I will repair, Thou shalt be rebuilt anew; And in thee it shall appear, What a God of love can do.

No comments: