Monday, October 29, 2007

We Are the People Our Parents Warned Us About

"We are the people there isn't any doubt. We are the people they still can't figure out. We are the people who love to sing "Twist and Shout"(Shake it up, Baby now). We are the people our parents warned us about."
Driving to the Bay this morning I was listening to a little Jimmy Buffett which caused me to reflect about the truths stated in these lyrics. I remember years ago being warned by my parents not to go in the woods behind our house because, "There are people back there who take drugs and will try to give you some." Funny, many years later I was experimenting with drugs in those same woods (It was 1977 and I had no desire to give my drugs away). My parent's desire was a good one, they believed, like most of us, that avoidance promotes abstanance (and safety). I guess that's somewhat true but desire can't be changed or renewed by applying externs of behavior. It's a temporary fix and if it does promote abstanance it does nothing to deal with the motives of the heart. The emptiness that cries for relief can come only from the fullness of God exposing my need and satisfying my longings with His love. Thankfully Jesus does just that. The gospel reveals my need, reminding me that it's true, "We are the people our parents warned us about." At the same time the gospel assures me that "We are the people our Father warned us about," and for that reason sent the Son to make me His own. Known and loved? Now that's the combination for change from the inside out.

No comments: